dr. A. Mosterd Associate Professor
- Julius Center - Board
Arend Mosterd (1964) studied Medicine at Utrecht University Medical School (M.D. degree 1990). During his medical studies he worked in primary health care projects in Venezuela and Peru (1987) and did rotations in medicine and cardiology at Harvard Medical School in Boston (1988). He obtained his PhD degree at Erasmus University Rotterdam with a thesis on the epidemiology of heart failure (1997). He was trained in Clinical Epidemiology at Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam and the Framingham Heart Study. His cardiology training took place at the Thorax Center in Rotterdam.
Since 2001 he works as a cardiologist at Meander Medical Center, Amersfoort. In 2012 he joined the Board of the Dutch Network for Cardiovascular Research (WCN; www.wcn.life), an association of 59 cardiovascular research centers, and served as Chair of the WCN from 2013 through 2019.
His research topics range from heart failure, sports cardiology, early diagnosis of acute coronary syndromes to clinical trials. He has supervised the completion of 6 PhD theses. He was national coordinator for the Paradigm HF (Angiotensin-neprilysin inhibition versus enalapril in heart failure) trial and the SPIRE studies (Cardiovascular Efficacy and Safety of Bococizumab in High-Risk Patients).
Currently he is co-principal investigator of the LoDoCo2 study (A double blind, placebo controlled, randomized trial of low dose colchicine in the secondary prevention of cardiovascular in patients with coronary artery disease – www.lodoco.nl) and national coordinator for the Victoria and Stand-up heart failure trials.
He has served on several Netherlands Health Council committees, drafted practice guidelines and was instrumental in the development of the research agenda of the Netherlands Heart Foundation. He is a fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (FESC) and a member of the Netherlands Society of Cardiology.
In September 2019 he was appointed chair of the Utrecht Trial Innovation Alliance (U-TRIAL), that aims to strengthen UMC Utrecht's pursuit of ambitious goals in clinical trials across its six priority fields.
Given his research interests Dr. Mosterd has interactions with pharmaceutical and other industrial partners, including Amarin, Amgen, Astra Zeneca, Bayer, BMS, Boehringer Ingelheim, Disphar, Inflazome, MSD, Novartis, Sanofi, TEVA and Tiofarma.
Dr. Mosterd will not accept personal fees from these parties.
1. Nidorf SM, Fiolet ATL, Eikelboom JW, Schut A, Opstal TSJ, Bax WA, Budgeon CA, Tijssen JGP, Mosterd A, Cornel JH, Thompson PL; LoDoCo2 Investigators. The effect of low-dose colchicine in patients with stable coronary artery disease: The LoDoCo2 trial rationale, design, and baseline characteristics. Am Heart J. 2019;218:46-56.
2. Weggemans RM, Backx FJG, Borghouts L, Chinapaw M, Hopman MTE, Koster A, Kremers S, van Loon LJC, May A, Mosterd A, van der Ploeg HP, Takken T, Visser M, Wendel-Vos GCW, de Geus EJC; Committee Dutch Physical Activity Guidelines 2017. The 2017 Dutch Physical Activity Guidelines. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2018;15(1):58.
3. Aengevaeren V, Mosterd A, Braber TL, Prakken NH, Doevendans PA, Grobbee DE, et al. The relationship between lifelong exercise volume and coronary atherosclerosis in athletes. Circulation. 2017;136:138-48.
4. Ridker PM, Revkin J, Amarenco P, Brunell R, Curto M, .. Mosterd A, et al. SPIRE Cardiovascular Outcome Investigators. Cardiovascular Efficacy and Safety of Bococizumab in High-Risk Patients. N Engl J Med. 2017;376:1527-39.
5. Bank IE, Dekker MS, Hoes AW, Zuithoff NP, Verheggen PW, .. Mosterd A. Suspected acute coronary syndrome in the emergency room: Limited added value of heart type fatty acid binding protein point of care or ELISA tests: The FAME-ER study. Eur Heart J Acute Cardiovasc Care. 2016;5:364-74.
6. Bank IE, Timmers L, Gijsberts CM, Zhang YN, Mosterd A, Wang JW, et al. The diagnostic and prognostic potential of plasma extracellular vesicles for cardiovascular disease. Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2015;15:1577-88.
7. McMurray J, Packer M, Desai A, Gong J, Greenlaw N, .. Mosterd A, et al. A putative placebo analysis of the effects of LCZ696 on clinical outcomes in heart failure. Eur Heart J. 2015;36:434-9.
8. Berdowski J, de Beus MF, Blom M, Bardai A, Bots ML, .. Mosterd A. Exercise-related out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in the general population: incidence and prognosis. Eur Heart J. 2013;34;3616-23.
9. Oudejans I, Mosterd A, Zuithoff NP, Hoes AW. Comorbidity drives mortality in newly diagnosed heart failure: a study among geriatric outpatients. J Card Fail. 2012;18;47-52.
10. Mosterd A, Senden JP, Engelfriet P. Preventing sudden cardiac death in athletes: finding the needle in the haystack or closing the barn door? Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2011;18;194-6.
11. Postema PG, Mosterd A, Hofman N, Alders M, Wilde AA. Sodium channelopathies: do we really understand what's going on? J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2011;22:590-3.
12. Scheltens T, de Beus MF, Hoes AW, Rutten FH, Numans ME, Mosterd A, et al. The potential yield of ECG screening of hypertensive patients: the Utrecht Health Project. J Hypertens. 2010;28;1527-33.
13. Schroten NF, van der Putten K, Rutten FH, Diepenbroek A, Mosterd A, Gaillard CA. High cumulative incidence of cancer in patients with cardio-renal-anaemia syndrome. Eur J Heart Fail. 2010;12:855-60.
14. van Teeffelen WM, de Beus MF, Mosterd A, et al. Risk factors for exercise-related acute cardiac events. A case-control study. Br J Sports Med. 2009;43:722-5.
15. Prakken NH, Velthuis BK, Cramer MJ, Mosterd A. Advances in cardiac imaging: the role of magnetic resonance imaging and computed tomography in identifying athletes at risk. Br J Sports Med. 2009;43:677-84.
16. Mosterd A, Hoes AW. Clinical epidemiology of heart failure. Heart. 2007;93:1137-46.
17. Mosterd A, Shahin GM, van Boven WJ, Jaarsma W, Graafland AD, van Swieten HA. Images in cardiovascular medicine. Leaflet fracture of a St. Jude mechanical bileaflet valve. Circulation. 2005;111(18):e280-1.
18. Mosterd A, Hoes AW, de Bruyne MC, et al. Prevalence of heart failure and left ventricular dysfunction in the general population; The Rotterdam Study. Eur Heart J. 1999;20:447-55.
19. Mosterd A, D'Agostino RB, Grobbee DE, et al. Trends in the prevalence of hypertension, antihypertensive therapy, and left ventricular hypertrophy from 1950 to 1989 N Engl J Med. 1999;340:1221-7.
20. Cowie MR, Mosterd A, Wood DA, Deckers JW, Sutton G, Poole-Wilson PA, Grobbee DE. Epidemiology of heart failure. Eur Heart J. 1997;18:208-25.