dr. T.J. (Tom J.) Snijders Assistant Professor - medical
- Neurology & Neurosurgery
T.J. (Tom) Snijders, PhD, completed his medical studies and his Neurology residency in the UMC Utrecht. During his training, he obtained a PhD-degree in the field of chronic pain medicine. He sub-specialized in Neuro-oncology during his residency.
Since 2011, he works as a neurologist in the UMC Utrecht. His practice encompasses all aspects of neuro-oncological patient care. His scientific work focuses on primary brain tumors, specifically gliomas. He is also involved in providing and evaluating experimental treatments (international clinical trials) in the UMC Utrecht.
- Validation and innovation of imaging techniques for brain tumors, including MRI-scans and PET-scans
- Cognitive symptoms in glioma patients
- Epilepsy due to brain tumors
- Liquid biopsy in primary brain tumors
- The multidisciplinary Team Neuro-Oncology of the UMC Utrecht aims to provide patients with the most recent innovative (experimental) treatments for brain tumors as part of clinical studies.
- 2013-2015: Member of the Guidelines writing committe ‘Intracranial meningiomas’ (2015) of Dutch Working Group Neuro-Oncology (LWNO).
- Since 2013: chairman of the editing board of www.hersentumor.nl, an organisation that provides reliable, current and objective information on brain tumors for patients and their relatives.
- Since 2015: Member of the Task Force on Bing Neel Syndrome of the 8th International Workshop on Waldenström’s Macroglobulinemia.
- Since 2018: Member of the Imaging Committee of the EORTC Brain Tumor Group.