prof. dr. W. (Wiepke) Cahn Full Professor
Prof. Wiepke Cahn has been a research psychiatrist at the University Medical Center Utrecht since 1996. In 2003 she obtained her PhD titled ‘brain morphology during the early course of schizophrenia’. She has set up various (multicenter) research projects, including GROUP. She has been chief psychiatrist for the schizophrenia program at the UMCUtrecht and project manager for the Utrecht Youth Cohort. Currently she is heading the ‘body & life’ clinic at the department of psychiatry. In 2016 she was appointed professor of psychiatry. Her research interest is the physical (ill-)health in psychiatric disorders.
Wiepke Cahn is vice-president of the Dutch Psychiatric Association. She has authored more than 200 papers and book chapters and has been chief editor of ‘handboek schizofrenie’. Her non-research-based activities consist of treating patients and their families with psychotic and bipolar disorders.
Physical health in psychiatric disorders
Most recent key publications
- Liemburg EJ, Bruins J, van Beveren N, Islam MA, Alizadeh BZ; GROUP investigators. Cannabis and a lower BMI in psychosis: What is the role of AKT1? Schizophr Res. 2016 Oct;176(2-3):95-9.
- de Nijs J, Pet MA; GROUP Investigators.. Metabolic syndrome in schizophrenia patients associated with poor premorbid school performance in early adolescence. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2016 Apr;133(4):289-97.
- Scheewe TW, Backx FJ, Takken T, Jörg F, van Strater AC, Kroes AG, Kahn RS, Cahn W. Exercise therapy improves mental and physical health in schizophrenia: a randomised controlled trial. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2013 Jun;127(6):464-73.
- Welie H, Derks EM, Verweij KH, de Valk HW, Kahn RS, Cahn W. The prevalence of diabetes mellitus is increased in relatives of patients with a non-affective psychotic disorder. Schizophr Res. 2013 Feb;143(2-3):354-7.
- Cahn W, Ramlal D, Bruggeman R, de Haan L, Scheepers FE, van Soest MM, Assies J, Slooff CJ. [Prevention and treatment of somatic complications arising from the use of antipsychotics]. Tijdschr Psychiatr. 2008;50(9):579-91.
GGz Breburg Supervisory Board
Full Professor, Altrecht Science
Fellowship and Awards
- Genetic Risk and Outcome of Psychosis (GROUP project) – i.s.m. AMC, UMCG en Universiteit van Maastricht
- Topfit project – i.s.m. met sportgeneeskunde
- GRUMPY or Depressed – i.s.m. de sociale faculteit UU
- Adding in- and outpatient parmacotherapeutic treatment information – i.s.m. de faculteit farmaceutische wetenschappen
- International panel study on the appropriate pharmacological management of early schizophrenia – RAND/UCLA study